The American College of Chest Physicians (CHEST) is a medical association that represents physicians and non-physician specialists in chest medicine, which includes the fields of pulmonology, critical care medicine and sleep medicine. CHEST needed a Learning Management System that could meet the healthcare industry’s strict professional continuing education accreditation requirements, and that also could support the administration, documentation, tracking and reporting of the classroom and online training events, eLearning programs and training content that it offers its 19,000 members.
Our CourseStage Health LMS is the perfect solution. Its healthcare-specific functionality enables CHEST to deliver both prescribed Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) accredited Continuing Medical Education (CME) courses and board-accredited Maintenance of Certification (MOC) activities. In addition, CHEST can monitor learners’ progress to ensure that they are complying with organizational, licensure boards and other training requirements.
CHEST uses CoureStage to offer the following:
- CME and MOC activities at their annual meeting, that are designed to transition learners from traditional live activities to online mobile formats. These include:
- Pre-tests, post-tests, evaluations, and content delivery for simulations and live courses on advanced topics offered at their brick-and-mortar facility in Chicago
- Pre-tests, post-tests, evaluations, and content delivery for frequent live, grant-funded sessions in multiple locations around the country
- MOC modules accredited by the ACCP’s board, the American Board of Internal Medicine, which take advantage of a custom-built feature that allows CHEST’s members to report MOC quiz results directly from the LMS to their board
CHEST’s use of CourseStage at its annual meeting are particularly innovative, and have helped the organization to transition learners from live to online formats using a mobile strategy. Uses of the LMS at the live meeting include:
- Self-paced SCORM modules at self-study stations (locked-down ipads) set up in the conference hall
- Pre- and post-tests in selected live sessions
- Real-time faculty ratings of learner performance in face-to-face simulations
- MOC modules