Last December, we placed some of eLearning’s most interesting trends on the hype curve. Now that we are over halfway through 2016, we felt it was time to reflect on how well our predictions played out here at Web Courseworks as well as the eLearning industry.
Physical Simulators and EHR-integrated Performance Improvement Activities – Next Generation CME White Paper. In this white paper, we discuss how physical simulators now have the ability to be connected to the internet, allowing them to be utilized more effectively in the CME space. Simulation-based continuing medical education (SB-CME) have been shown to have superior outcomes in the transfer of knowledge, skills and behaviors. Unfortunately, these high-tech simulations often come at high cost, especially in fields like surgery.
EHR Integrated PI activities also made this white paper. Mayo Clinic is one of the leaders in medical technology and advancement. They developed a multifaceted information system that connects their EMR (Electronic Medical Records) with their physician performance improvement education. This program will be the new push in the medical space for PI, as it provides real-time opportunities for CME to identify precise learning needs and knowledge gaps.
Performance Improvement is an organizational focus for us here at Web Courseworks. We have had webinars, interviews and a white paper centered around PI. Recent innovation in performance improvement—moving performance improvement beyond remediation to a continuous professional development model—has been concentrated in the medical education space. We believe that all industries could benefit and learn from the innovations around PI that are happening in healthcare.
- Fall 2016 Webinar Series – This fall, we will be following up with Valerie Smothers from MedBiquitous to talk about PI and the outdated PDF Certificate.
- Performance Improvement Strategy – We teamed up with Tagoras on a Webinar discussing what performance is, how it’s being used, and where it’s going.
- Interview with Natalie Lavelle – NBOME is a medical association that has taken a front seat when it comes to PI-CME. Natalie Lavelle is the Director for Learning Technologies and provides some insight into NBOME’s PI activities.
- Performance Improvement and Certificates – This was the first part of our two part webinar series with MedBiquitous. Andy and Valerie Smothers discussed the MedBiquitous Activity Report.
- Gamification – eLearning Learning covers the eight best practices for designing gamified eLearning experiences.
Peak of Inflated Expectations
Badges: – Our white paper explains how badges are becoming the new certificate as a way for association members and eLearning users to better track and gauge their learning progress. What are some of the advantages over certificates?
xAPI: – xAPI is hitting the eLearning industry with force, given the nickname “The New and Improved SCORM.” This article gives a brief overview of what xAPI is and how it’s being used in the eLearning Community. Read xAPI in the eLearning Community.
Trough of Disillusionment: MOOCs and MOC
MOOCs – Tagoras released a white paper: “Exploring the Fringe: Flipping, Microcreditntials and MOOCs.” This paper gives some insight on using MOOCs as well as in-the-field stories on how MOOCs have been incorporated in associations.
MOC – See how MOC is viewed in the medical field with this article from AMA.
Slope of Enlightenment
Mobile Learning: Mobile learning is not a new concept. However, mLearning is constantly changing due to the tech industry constantly evolving and developing better and flashier technology. At Web Courseworks, we took a close look at how mLearning has been used by our own CourseStage users as well as other mobile learning case studies.
- Mobile Learning and Certification – We interviewed one of our CourseStage Users, AANA (American Association of Nurse Anesthetists), about using mLearning in the CME space.
- Mobile Learning and Case Studies – To further examine how mobile devices are used in the eLearning community, we took an in-depth analysis of several organizations who created innovative ways to incorporate mLearning with their learners.
Plateau of Productivity
Blended Learning – eLearning Industry gives an overview on the 6 models for blended learning.