Performance improvement is defined as “the systematic process of identifying and analyzing the root causes of performance issues, and implementing big picture solutions across an organization.” A definition is helpful to understand performance improvement, but how does it actually occur and function in the workplace?
Steps to successfully improve performance:
- Consider institutional context
- Obtain and maintain stakeholder feedback
- Define desired performance
- Describe actual performance
- Describe performance gaps
- Find root Causes
- Select and design interventions
Every organization strives for performance improvement. Whether it’s a hospital, a factory creating toys for children, or even fast food franchises, PI is needed everywhere. However, many are still at an elementary level when it comes to strategies and implementation policies. This is often due to ill-defined and complex concepts that surround performance improvement.
Fortunately, performance improvement has been taking some strides with a few different PI platforms that service a few different industries. This white paper summarizes how different PI platforms have been utilized in education, retail, fast food franchises, corporations, and healthcare.
We will be featuring these performance improvement platforms:
- CALL – The Comprehensive Assessment of Leadership provides an excellent example of a performance improvement framework within the context of a school setting. It focuses on school leadership performance rather than focusing solely on student performance, although student performance is a component within the framework. It incorporates the values and opinions of all the stakeholders within the school system to provide a method of measurement of school performance.
- NOMi – NOMi is a customer-tracking sensor-based platform that helps store managers predict how long wait times will be, how many employees should be working checkout lines, and entices customers by providing just-in-time deals depending on their proximity to certain products.
- LiveLenz – LiveLenz is a restaurant improvement platform that works by serving the needs of employees, franchises, and franchisees. It does so by promoting healthy competition between employees, increasing accountability from franchisees to franchises, and helping to manage inventory and human resource costs to franchisees.
- PD@GE – PD@GE is a technologically-based solution to previously problematic employee annual performance reviews. Rather than relying on a yearly review, employees are able to request feedback on their performance at any time and can expect to receive that feedback through the app. The app increases the level of communication between employees and their managers and makes annual performance reviews less fraught with tension.
- NICHE – NICHE is a performance improvement program that focuses on the level of the organization rather than the level of the individual. It identifies leaders within the institution who then train their nursing staff in the NICHE framework. The GIAP allows stakeholders to measure staff knowledge, attitudes, and perceptions of geriatric patients and provides both a baseline and a comparison between institutions. Hospitals that use the NICHE program report better patient and nursing staff outcomes.
For a further in-depth look at these PI platforms, download the white paper today.